Residence Rooms: Bedrooms in Residence (dormitory) buildings come with either 1 or 2 single beds. Shared washroom facilities are located on each floor along with a central lounge to relax and watch TV with other guests.
Cluster Units: Similar to an apartment or townhouse, Cluster Housing units come with 4 bedrooms, 2 washrooms and a shower. Each bedroom in the unit contains 1 single bed. The living room is furnished with a loveseat and coffee table. The kitchen has a fridge, stove, dishwasher and dining room table with chairs and (for additional charge) is equipped with dishes, cutlery and utensils. Please note cable and phone lines are available however televisions and telephones are not provided in the units.
Notes on Cluster Units: Although they are composed of 4 bedrooms, cluster units must to be booked and paid for as a single block. UVic Residence Services is generously facilitating individual receipts to be issued. To book a cluster unit, attendees will need to abide by the following conditions:
- Arrival and departure dates for each individual in a cluster unit must be the same. (If there are any early departures, with others in a cluster staying on, the original departure date will still apply for all charges.)
- One person must make the initial reservation, and needs to indicate the names of the 3 guests who will be sharing the unit.
- The full balance must be settled at the time of booking.
- The individual that submitted the booking request form is responsible for settling the total if the roommates do not settle their outstanding balances.
- Please be sure to write “DHSI” under “Conference name” on the summer booking form.
Booking On-Campus Accommodation: To book on-campus accommodation, please visit the U Victoria Housing reservation site. They can be contacted by email at email@example.com or fax at +1.250.721.8930. Please be advised that spaces may fill up quickly; we recommend booking early!
For those who wish hotel-style accommodation, and don’t mind a little distance from the activities of the day, we recommend the following hotels, which will provide discounted government rates to guests of the University of Victoria via our institutional agreement with them. Please contact them for further information, and please note both that rooms at discounted rate may sell out quickly and hotels do fill quickly in Victoria (especially June-August).
Notes on Off-Campus Accommodation: In order to access the institutional rates, you need to let the hotels know that you are attending a conference at the University of Victoria, and wish to access the discounted government rates associated with being a guest at UVic. There are no specific rates for the SHARP 2017 conference itself.
- Inn at Laurel Point: +1-250-386-8721, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.laurelpoint.com/
- Hotel Grand Pacific: 1-800-663-7550, email@example.com, http://www.hotelgrandpacific.com/
- Chateau Victoria: 250-382-4221, 1-800-663-5891, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.chateauvictoria.com/
- Best Western: 250-384-5122, 888-383-2378, email@example.com, http://www.victoriabestwestern.com/
- Royal Scott: 250-388-5463, 1-800-663-7515, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.royalscot.com/
- Swans Hotel: 250-361-3310, 1-800-668-7926, email@example.com, http://swanshotel.com/
- Harbour Towers: 1-800-663-5896, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.harbourtowers.com/
- Fairmont Empress: +1-250-384-8111, 1-866-540-4429, email@example.com, http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/
- Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort and Spa: +1-800-268-1133 (special rate, $195/night [regular rate, $246]; quote group name “University of Victoria Digital Humanities Summer Institute”)
Downtown hotels are not located proximate to UVic, requiring taxi, car or bus (or other) transport to the university. Buses run frequently and directly, taking 30-45 minutes depending on route and traffic; taxi fares run approximately $20+ CDN each way.
The Victoria tourism web site can be found at the following URL: http://www.tourismvictoria.com/ This site has numerous links to other hotels, Bed and Breakfast accommodations, etc. Please book early, though–Victoria is a very sought after destination during the summer months!